Wednesday, August 5, 2009

NO Cellphones allowed!!

I do agree that cell phones should be banned in the classroom. While Liz Kolb made a pretty good case for why cell phones should be allowed in the classroom, I don’t think it was strong enough. I think having cell phones in class will only increase disruptions and take away from actual learning time. I also agree with Josh Allen that there is no profession that has “cell phone operation” listed as a skill. There may be some uses for cell phones in the classroom, but they are few and far between. Also, many students have cell phones, but some still do not. Other students might have cell phones that do not have the technology that newer ones do; so that could cause problems with lessons.

Josh Allen also brought up the point of cost to the school, since not all cell phones are the same. “When discussing the money that districts would spend on cell phones, don’t think about just purchasing the phone. You will also be paying for some type of plan that would probably include text messaging and Web access if you were to get the most out of what you have.” This is very true; if we are going to assign cell phone lessons, then we need to provide the cell phone to do that assignment. It’s not fair to students to assume that a; they all have the technology and b; they all know how to use it.

When reading this article, I was wondering how a teacher could really monitor their students while using cell phones. Even if a teacher was to take the cell phones away until they were needed for the lesson, they could not really ensure that their students aren’t doing other things on their phones. I also am curious about how the ability to use a cell phone in class might increase cheating in schools.

1 comment:

  1. I would have to disagree with your post. A teacher can monitor the use of cell phones in have a check in check out system for cell phones before and after class. On another note with your statement on no jobs list "cell phone operation" as a skill, this may be true today. However, many jobs ask for the need for excellent oral and written communication skills. Would this not be directly related to the world of technology and with the advancement of cell phone in just the past 8 years where will they be in five more? Cell phones and the ability to gain information instantly, thus the world is going to be moving toward a higher use and understanding of cell phones. So you should think twice about made working them into your classroom. 

    ReplyDelete