I thought the article “Don’t feed the Trolls” was thought provoking. Guidelines were created to teach civil discourse using blogs. These guidelines include: reviewing the rules, putting the rules into practice, encouraging self monitoring, modeling civil discourse and providing opportunities to practice. It seems that these are basic guidelines when teaching anything, but it is really important to include these rules when using blogs as the form of media. I think people have an easier time being rude on the internet due to its anonymity; students need to understand if they wouldn’t say out loud, they shouldn’t type it either.
I liked Mr. Harbeck’s blog, but I am not sure of its effectiveness. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of student comments or student “chatting.” It is interesting that they created a blog for a math class and not the social studies or language arts class. I do not like the idea of students getting their homework assignments through a blog, unless the same is assigned in the classroom first. I feel like middle or high school students would not automatically check the blog for homework. Also in that instance, if homework is not assigned in class, the students without internet access at home (who do still exist) will not know about the assignment.
However, I do know that blogs can be useful in the classroom. I can create a blog that posts power points from that day’s lesson, like Mr. Harbeck’s blog. I can also use a blog to keep students connected to me outside of school. If I did use a blog for my class, I would most likely use it to post current health issues, interesting TV specials, notes and/or inspirational quotes, videos or stories. I think having a blog for classroom use is an interesting idea, but one I am not completely sold on yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree, i think blogs and digital technology could be great, but i would need to know all of my students could benefit and access it.
ReplyDelete