The best thing I saw in the presentations was the PEMDAS song video in Dustin's presentation. I think singing is one of the funnest ways to learn something; and also the easiest. Ever since we heard the song I can't stop singing it! And since we only got to hear a short clip of it, I'm basically singing the same sentence over and over again. In general, I enjoyed the video clips in all of the powerpoint presentations.
The least engaging thing I saw was something I did myself; turning toward the powerpoint when talking. I tried to only look at the computer screen, but I guess it's just a bit more comforting to turn away from the audience at this point. I know once all of us have more practice speaking in front of the group this will probably not happen as often.
To improve my own powerpoints, next time I will practice more. I felt like I practiced enough, but I felt a little disjointed up there. I also will try to do a more interactive powerpoint. I felt like only having 5 minutes wasn't enough to have a real interactive lesson, but after seeing others go I realized I could very well make it more interactive. Just by asking some basic questions keeps students relatively engaged. Most often, teens stay relatively engaged during "sex" lessons, whether they be about STDs, reproductive health or protection so I sometimes forget to purposely include engaging questions.
I enjoy powerpoint as a classroom tool as long as it follows the powerpoint rules. If the powerpoint isn't text heavy and keeps students engaged it can be very helpful. I also think powerpoint is a useful tool for students to use. It's nice to have something in the back to keep yourself on task or to remind yourself of where you are at during a presentation. I definitely think students need to be taught how to effectively use powerpoint, no animations, avoiding clip art and not reading their powerpoint!! Otherwise, as a teacher, I would go CRAZY watching presentations all day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I definitely agree that powerpoints in the classroom need to follow the rules that we discussed in class. I think too often teachers use them almost like a text book with so many words that kids just read the slides and pay no attention to the lecture. I had teachers that even did this in college classes.
ReplyDelete